Sunday, January 10, 2010

Where have all the Madeas gone?


Madea is one of my heroes. I love her! She tells it like it is, keeps people on point, and is respected by everyone around. Where have these women gone? It really does not matter what color your skin is, Madea is a state of mind.

In the movie, "Steel Magnolias" the character Ouiser was a Madea of sorts. She was not afraid to speak her mind, that's for sure. In fact, the small church that I attended as a child had an older woman who was the real life version of Ouiser. We even nicknamed her as such. She was something else. It really did not matter if people liked her or not, she was going to be true to herself and true to her God. "Ouiser" would correct other people's children, stand toe to toe with the pastor if she did not agree with something that was going on in the church, and she had a heart of gold.

I believe that the era of political correctness has obliterated these wonderful women. We, as women, are afraid to be outspoken. We fear what others may think of us. Meanwhile, the world around us is crumbling and screaming out for women such as Madea. If each neighborhood had one Madea, I know without a doubt that there would be less crime, less disrespect for property, and more respect for one another. I am not ashamed to say that as I age, I want to be a Madea. Like me, love me, hate me, whatever...I really do not care. I am me.

-the busy bee

No comments:

Post a Comment