Friday, January 15, 2010

The more I see, the less I know.

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, "To make a friend, you have to be a friend." One of my favorite parts of teaching is just listening to the everyday conversations of my students. I have learned a lot from them. There is, however, one thing that the children say that I do not allow. It is, "You're not my friend anymore!" Those words are said out of frustration and even anger. Usually this happens when one of them does not get their way in a game, or one has something that the other wants. I am sure that at some point in our own childhoods, we either said these words to someone else or they were said to us. It does not elicit good feelings, does it?

Emerson had a point though. In order to make a friend, you have to actually be a friend to someone. See the good in them for who they are. Do not try to change them yourself. If there is a fault in your friend (and surely there is because they are human) accept it as a quirk. After all, don't you have quirks? I have plenty of them and am thankful for those who call me friend. So, as adults, please do not tell someone that they are "not your friend anymore" by withholding acceptance and friendship.

Just a thought,
- the busy bee

No comments:

Post a Comment