Monday, November 1, 2010

Part 5! Part 5! Part 5!

Hello all! Here is part five of my little story. A few disclaimers... 1) My real name is Alissa and my real husband's name is Robby Brown. 2) Clyde Cobb was a real man, married to a real woman named Garnett. She had several younger sisters. He really did sing in a group called the Silvertones. 3) Cheryl and Mike are real people and they are really married.

Sorry for the overuse of the words "real" and "really". Some names will be changed in the final product. Of course, that is to product the innocent. ;-) Happy reading and please, please, please, please, tell me what ya'll think. Remember, this is a very rough draft. Really rough draft. hehehehehe Get it? "Really" rough draft. Ah, I crack myself up sometimes.








The birds chirping happily woke me and before I could fully open my eyes I knew that the day was spectacular. It was Saturday and I was able to sleep in a little. Were the events of last night real? Had Robby really stopped by for a short visit on his way back home to Florida? Looking over to my left, I saw the letter lying open on my nightstand and I knew that it was indeed real.

Saturday was usually a day filled with going to the market, laundry, and housework. It was also a day that my best friend, Cheryl and I had breakfast together and caught up on all of the past week’s gossip. She would go over the moon for this late breaking news. We always took turns hosting our regular breakfast date and this was my turn. How could I have forgotten? Robby. That’s exactly how!

With an exaggerated sigh, I quickly dressed and rummaged through the kitchen for the makings of our meal. We had biscuits, pear preserves, scrambled eggs, and I was able to use some leftover ham from the icebox to complete our little feast. Just as I was clearing the last few blue willow china pattern dishes from the table, Cheryl asked me about what I knew she had been bursting at the seems to know.

“So, did he come by to tell you goodbye?” she smiled.

“I don’t know who you mean, Cheryl.” I smiled back, beginning to run the water in the sink to wash the dishes.

“Yes, you do. You can’t pretend that you have no idea who I am talking about, especially after this last week. Why, if I didn’t know any better, I’d guess that you had forgotten all about our breakfast this morning because you were up late last night with him.” Her lips curled up triumphantly.

“What?! How could you know abou…No! I would never forget breakfast.” Caught. I had been caught. There was no use trying to lie my way out of it. I was a terrible liar anyway.

“Let’s just call it a girl’s intuition. Plus, Mike knows things and we are married. He does talk to me.” Cheryl winked in my direction and helped dry the dishes before putting them back in their place.

After Cheryl’s gentle interrogation she seemed satisfied with herself and the information extracted. Well, it wasn’t an interrogation, but it certainly had felt like one. Cheryl had meant no harm and it felt good to talk to someone about things. Her advice had been to “write to Robby and see what happens”. Easier said than done.

Oh, correspondence was simple enough. It was the waiting. Waiting was not something that I was particularly good at in life. Humming one of the songs the Silvertones had sung last night, I gathered the empty flour sacks and started out toward the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment