Monday, October 25, 2010

Explanation

What the what? You may be asking yourself what the heck I am writing about. Well, as most of you know, my husband is a shrink. No comments from the peanut gallery please! hehehehehe I will admit that being married to a shrink comes in handy sometimes and at other times it is rather unnerving. One of the relaxation techniques that he uses is creating a world all of your own. For example, our son's world consists of bright colors, lots of clouds, candy and food everywhere, animals, and a giant rain forest. Pretty awesome for a seven year old, don't you agree? My world takes place in the 1940's. WWII hasn't happened yet (and it may not in my world). My world is in the South, most likely near Newnan/Grifffin, Georgia. The homes are beautiful, the manners are beautiful, and life is simple. Well, the other night while relaxing in an attempt to sleep, I went to "Alissa's World" and envisioned the scene that I am writing about. It does wonders for the creativity. ;-) Anyway, here is part two and three. Enjoy and comment, please.





It was time to get out of the tub and finish my glass of ice water. I quickly dressed in a cream-colored slip and red silk robe. Securing the robe around my waist, I decided to sit on the front porch for a little while.

The neighborhood was exceptionally quiet. Apparently I was the only one struggling with sleep. Normally when I sat on my porch I could hear the faint sounds emitting from a neighbor’s radio, or the irregular laughter of children playing in a nearby backyard. This time, the only noise was the rhythmic creak of the rocking chair as I rocked slowly enjoying the fragrance that was uniquely autumn.

I always enjoy the smell of autumn. While summer is my favorite season, it is intoxicating to wake early and feel the excitement in nature as it awaits the upcoming cool down. The men and boys make their preparations to hunt and the women begin to gather heavier quilts and clothing from the attic. Yes, this season has charms of it’s own I admit to myself.

Lost in thought, I failed to notice the footsteps quickly approaching. It was too late to retreat indoors. Maybe if I sat perfectly still in the shadow that my camellia bush cast, I would not be seen. Who could be out at this time? Certainly they were not up to anything good or decent. A mixture of fear and curiosity coursed through my body as I strained to see just who this was walking along the sidewalk.

My heart was beating loudly in my own ears and I recognized the shadowy figure as Robby Brown. What was he doing? Was he carrying something in his hand? Why was his pace slowing as he approached my home? Had he noticed me sitting there? If I retreated now, he would surely know that I had been spying.

I sighed and sat as still as possible as he deftly opened the gate leading to my walkway. He was carrying flowers and what appeared to be a card of some sort. I couldn’t help but to grin. They were my very favorite flower. How did Robby know? I couldn’t recall ever mentioning my favorite flower in any of our conversations over the last week. He was very observant, so, maybe it was all just a marvelous coincidence.

Robby did not even notice me sitting in the silence as he climbed the five stairs leading to my porch. Who was I kidding? Of course he noticed. The man was aware of everything. This was both infuriating and fascinating - I hadn’t made my mind up as to which emotion was stronger. Infuriating because no matter what I wore, he had to make a comment. “Well, aren’t we looking lovely today”, or “My, my, you are breathtaking in that shade of yellow”. How could a man, with no presumed female attachment, take notice of every single detail about me? This was the fascinating part. Where had Robby learned such things? Did he have a sister back home in Florida? A sweetheart? At the thought of Robby having a sweetheart, my heart sank just a little and I noticed my hands become clammy and moist. Slowly, I rubbed my palms over the skirt of my robe.

“Hello there, my precious. What luck to find you up at this late hour”, he smiled with an easy grin. “I was just stopping by on my way to the train station to leave you with a parting gift as a token of my appreciation for the company that you provided over the last week. Although I thought that a surprise on your doorstep would be exciting, I trust that you will accept my gift now. It would be nice to travel to Florida with your reaction etched firmly in my memory”.

“Well, the flowers are gorgeous. How did you know? I mean, I don’t think that I ever told you that sunflowers were my favorite. They aren’t even growing in my yard”.

Robby chuckled as he seated himself in the rocking chair beside mine. “I think I know you better than you know yourself”. This revelation made his hazel eyes sparkle with something that I had never seen before and the hairs on the back of my neck stood at attention.

“Know me better than I know myself? Please! I have lived in this body for the last ummm, well, forever, so I know myself better than you ever could”. That was close. A lady never tells her age and I had come ever so close to crossing that fine line between lady and something a little less than.

“Here is something else for you. I hope that you will take time to read it before tossing it carelessly in the trash heap”. Robby tentatively handed me the thick envelope with my name written on it in his bold, slashing hand.

“Of course! May I open it now”? I had never been good at waiting for presents at Christmas, birthdays, or at any time really. My hands were itching to rip into the linen envelope and read exactly what Robby Brown had to say before he left. After all, who knew when we would see one another again? Our first meeting had been by seemingly a random chance.

As I held the envelope in my hands, I found my excitement waning. Why couldn’t I rip into this piece of paper as I had done to countless, more elaborately wrapped gifts over the years?

Now, after a full week of daily interaction and interesting conversation he would be gone. As this realization sank in, I concluded that the real cause of my insomnia had absolutely nothing to do with the outside temperature or the condition of my pillow. It had everything to do with Robby’s departure and the uncertainty that we would ever see one another again.

“Penny for your thoughts”. Robby gently broke the awkward silence beginning to fill the void of our once easy conversation.

“Oh, nothing much. I guess I am just getting tired. It was a long day and an even longer night. Wouldn’t you agree? Thank you for the dancing and drinks this evening. Your stories, as always, took my mind on an adventure unlike any I could dare dream of going”, I smiled my very best smile at him.

“Liar. I told you that I could read faces and yours is telling me something totally different than that convoluted story you just made up. Now, how about the truth? Remember one of our very first conversations? You were attempting to be the sweet Southern lady and I saw right through that charade. Everything in your being wanted to question me about my family, my business, and exactly what it was that I was doing in your precious little town.” I felt more uneasy than I ever had around him but I didn’t want to let it show. Of course I remembered the things that Robby had mentioned. I was not a simpleton.

“Think about the truth. When you are ready to tell me, I have given you an address at which I can be reached. Write to me and show me that you are ready to be truthful with me at all times.”, His voiced trailed off as he reached across the small space separating us on the porch and held my hand firmly in his.

I wanted my hand to be free. I wanted to run inside, lock the door, and forget that Robby Brown ever existed. Fortunately, that didn’t happen and fortunately we can’t always get what we want. He kissed the back of my hand, checked his watch in the moonlight, and told me that he had to be on his way if he was going to make the train in time.

With that, Robby left as swiftly and as quietly as he had come.

No comments:

Post a Comment