Friday, October 22, 2010

Autobiography or work of fiction?

My, my it's been a while! Right at eight months since I have posted anything. So much has happened and changed in that small span of time. If you know the details, then you understand. About a month or two ago I saw a most interesting quote. It was, "A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's is her work of fiction." - Oscar Wilde. How to interpret this? Literally? Metaphorically?

As I pondered the statement I thought about how women use cosmetics to conceal any flaw, perceived or real. Men tend to be more "wash and wear" although I have met some men that use cosmetics. That being said, it would appear that a literal interpretation would be a little more difficult although somewhat obvious.

Often times women portray a "skin deep" beauty that quickly fades as the water disappears down the sink. I think that most of us have seen the magazine covers that "reveal" celebrities without make up. In many cases, most of us would not recognize the famous person. Is their beauty all just a grand work of fiction? Digital enhancements abound, and most everyday women feel less than pretty when looking in the mirror. Simply put, it's sad. I haven't even started on the cosmetic surgery aspect of it all and, honestly, I don't want to.

Now, what about the fact that for many years women were taught to hide their emotions and thoughts behind a demure smile and a mask of pure serenity? Would that not constitute a work of fiction as well? "Smile and look pretty" no matter what was going on in the heart or head, right? I am thankful to be a woman and I am thankful that I am able to let my emotions show on my face. Honestly I believe that even if my face were to be the picture of a peaceful lady, my eyes would betray any thoughts or feelings to the contrary. It was generally more accepted for a man to reveal the inner workings of his mind through facial expressions. I've always wondered exactly why that was. Who exactly made up that rule of society?

Although it is 2010, do any of us still live according to Mr. Wilde's theory? Certainly I am not discouraging cosmetics in any way, shape, or fashion. I LOVE make up. It's fun! I love to enhance what is already there, on myself and others. I do not believe that anyone should hide behind a mask of make up OR behind a mask that disallows the mind and heart to shine through.

So, those are some of my thoughts regarding a most interesting and observant statement. What do you think?

Fluttering around the house during this beautiful Autumn evening,

The busy bee

No comments:

Post a Comment